Hi,

here's an idea for a new feature for lyx 1.1:

At http://www.cogsci.princeton.edu/~wn/w3wn.html you can find a huge
database of english words which is freely available - 'wordnet'. The most
interesting part is probably the synonyms. It's not very difficult to
integrate this in lyx, so everybody who has wordnet installed gets an
lyx-integrated thesaurus.

The question is, how to integrate it:

1. wordnet comes with a library to call its functions from C
2. it comes with a unix shell command that lyx could call
3. it comes with an tcl/tk gui (called "wordnet browser") that
        lyx could call

I guess #3 is the best (short term?) solution, since it's no fun to
rebuild the gui using xforms (even if its not too complex). Does anybody
have experience with tcl/c++ integration? Not only should we call the gui
with a certain word the user wants information about, but the gui should
also give back other words to lyx. Well, let's say the latter would be
cool, it doubt if it's really important.

BTW, there's also a "EuroWordnet" project so we've got a chance this is
not just for english language (haven't checked out the non-english stuff
yet).

Comments, ideas?

Regards
 Daniel

PS: In case you're wondering why I come up with ideas but not with code: I
still cannot use lyx 1.1 because it crashes when I choose "new file" or
when I try to load a file (it's still the same problem I already posted
here).

--
PGP Key fingerprint = 3D 98 9E D2 00 B6 E0 9D  7E B9 77 23 17 E2 11 6A
http://cgi4all.alabanza.com/glasatelier/