On Sun, Apr 11, 1999 at 09:36:29PM +0000, Daniel Naber wrote:
> I found the slide and removed nearly all non-critical lines. The attached
> file should be the (nearly) minimal file that produced the error.
>

> \documentclass[a4paper]{slides}
> \usepackage{tla,german,latexsym}
>
> \begin{tabular}{lll}
> $#$      & \verb$#$      & \verb$\neq$ \\
> $\/$     & \verb$\/$     & \verb$\lor$ \\
> \end{tabular}

Aha! It's not my fault! Well, maybe it's not my fault. This might be a "tla"
issue, whatever tla is.

I don't have tla. When I run latex on the above slide, I get an error:
"! You can't use `macro parameter character #' in math mode."

I suspect that mathed doesn't expect to see '#' in math mode, since regular
latex doesn't understand it.

If you replace the '#' with an 'a', say, then lyx can display the file just
fine. (Although it's probably a bug that mathed says there's an 'unexpected _'
in the file, when it's actually an unexpected '#'!)

The other problem is that when I write "$\/$" in math mode in a regular tex
file, it generates nothing at all in the output. reLyX dutifully copies the
\/, which mathed then shows as an empty square. To get a slash in math mode
in TeX, or in mathed, you just type the slash. You don't have to backslash
it. Is this another thing that changes in tla?

Syntax changes like this, where the basic characters in tex change, are
probably going to give real problems to reLyX and/or mathed. I don't really
know what to do about this. :(

-Amir