owen 'owled,

> > There is an intention that LyX will be able to use several toolkits,
> > among which GTK/Gnome. However, this work has not begun yet (what is
> > done is the beginning of toolkit independance in the code).

> would this theorhetically then make Lyx fully GPL?

which does open it's own can of worms--offering under a new license.
When the time comes, hopefully I have the time to do the research, but
a *very* *preliminary* *estimate* of the situation is that the putative
licensing under GPL implicitly grants permission to use the GPL, or
would at least estop contributors from objecting to release under the
GPL.  But don't even think of holding me to this or quoting me on it :)

However, I think this would give us two licenses (the current & the
GPL), rather than just GPL--we wouldn't be able to make GPL the sole
license and block the use of linking to non-assimilable  code.

rick, esq.