Shigeru> Looking at BufferList::readFile() I found that LyX does not
Shigeru> load emergency save file if the file was not saved properly
Shigeru> at least once.  Is this the correct behaviour?

This behaviour seems indeed strange. I guess you are referring to the
following code (that I reproduce so that others can comment):

        if (fileInfoE.exist() && fileInfo2.exist()) {
                if (fileInfoE.getModificationTime()
                    > fileInfo2.getModificationTime()) {
                        if (AskQuestion(_("An emergency save of this document
exists!"),
                                        MakeDisplayPath(s,50),
                                        _("Try to load that instead?"))) {

I do not see any reason why we should not use the emergency file when
the normal one does not exist.