On Sun, Aug 22, 1999 at 12:45:29AM -0700, Kayvan A. Sylvan wrote:

> You're right. That's not the problem. The problem has something to do
> with the chess.sty file I'm using. [...]

Okay... Urgh... I figured it out.

Pilot error.

Comments within chess.sty provide my answer:

%
% Provide a `nochess' environment in which the `|' character becomes
% inactive for situations where the `|' is already in use (like in
% the LaTeX `tabular' environment for example).
%

Duh.

Enclosing the table within a TeX \begin{nochess} ... \end{nochess} fixed
the problem.

:-)

Sorry to bother you all with the silly question.

                        ---Kayvan
---
Kayvan Aghaiepour Sylvan  | Proud husband of      | Father to my kids:
Sylvan Associates, Inc.   | Laura Isabella Sylvan | Katherine Yelena (8/8/89)
http://sylvan.com/~kayvan |                       | Robin Gregory (2/28/92)