Garst> This could be a user error, but here's what happend. Alice
Garst> wanted a listing with page numbers of her cookbook recipes
Garst> showing the recipe name and the contributor. The recipe names
Garst> were already Subsections, so I told her to just make the
Garst> contributors Subsubsections. I was a little worried because the
Garst> contributor names were in a mini-page and emphasized, but that
Garst> was not the problem. After she made the changes I did a view
Garst> postscript and got a bunch of errors saying: extra } or
Garst> forgotten \endgroup ..d@ \relax\let\reserved@d=*\def\par} The
Garst> problem turned out to be that some of the contributor name
Garst> entries were muliple lines and something did not like that.
Garst> Note that the TOC displayed OK in LyX. Garst

I think this is the kind of things that latex does not like... For
such special documents, having a home-made class helps a lot. I did
one a few years back for a workshop which generated a timetable from
the different talks descriptions (a bit like a toc) and it is nice to
have...