Pete> Because we use a central file server for all our s/w, I install
Pete> using

Pete> ./configure --prefix=/share/store/lyx-1.1.2
Pete> --exec=/share/store/lyx-1.1.2/linux

Pete> I then make some links to a common set of directories in
Pete> everyones path etc.

Pete> The last version of lyx I installed was 1.0.3, and that has
Pete> worked fine using this scheme for months.

Yes, but we made a lot of changes, and I have made some errors in this
process. I _think_ these are fixed in 1.1.3pre1. To fix it on your
copy, try to add in src/Makefile (somewhere in the beginning)

LYX_DIR=/share/store/lyx-1.1.2

Then delete main.o and lyx_main.o and recompile.

I'm very interested to hear what people experience when using
non-default settings. After all, the old 1.0.x settings has taken some
time to stabilize...