Jules Bean wrote:

> On Mon, 29 Nov 1999, Seak, Teng-Fong wrote:
>
> > 1) Double vertical stroke set symbols for Z, N, R, Q, C
>
> Indeed. We have no font for them.  I use this in my preamble:
>
> \newcommand{\R}{\mathbb{R}}

     OK, thanks.  By the way, I find that either I've to use AMS as document
type, or add "\usepackage{amsfonts}" in preamble for \mathbb to work.  I'm
still using version 1.0.4, maybe in latest version I don't have to do this?

> Then type \R when I want it.  This comes out as a red R, which is close
> enough for me :-)

     Actually, the R displayed is a "hollow R" but not the R used to
represent the set of all real numbers.  But it's better than nothing :)

> IMO, the long-term direction for LyX needs to be to use some more capable
> fonts than the X ones it currently uses.  Possibly this means building
> one of the truetype font libraries into LyX

     This is of course an ideal solution, but I'm afraid this would demand
too much effort from developpers.  They're programmers, not designers :(

> (this would make the on-screen
> display significantly more pleasing to the eye, and would allow
> anti-aliasing as an option), and using a good unicode font (if such even
> exists?).

     OT: there's a TrueType Cyberstream Unicode font file, free of charge,
available.  If you're using Linux with a TT font server, you could use this
font.  However, this font was provided years ago, so maybe something are
missing.  "Euro" is certainly missing.  But personally, I prefer Microsoft's
approach in Unicode.  MS provides separated fonts for every language family
and all of them constitute Unicode, instead of a single font file containing
everything.  The reason is that while Times Roman or Helvetica/Arial style is
meaningful for Latin letters (or even Greek and Cyrillic), they are almost
meaningless for other language families.  It's thus quite silly to provide a
"Times Roman Unicode" font file.

> > 2) Identity symbol, usually represented as the number 1 with double
> > vertical stroke (just like those set symbols)
>
> Hmm. That's not in the standard blackboard font.  You'd need to try a
> general latex forum for that, I'm afraid. Personally, I find a standard
> '1' serves well for the identity in many contexts.

     Yup, except for matrix, for example :-)

> > 3) Symbols for "therefore" and "since", ie one dot on top and two dots
> > in the bottom for "therefore", two dots on top and one dot in the bottom
> > for "since".
> >  .
> > . .  for "therefore"
> >
> > . .
> >  .   for "since"
>
> Hmm.  The symbosl should be \because and \since.  I can't get them to
> work, although I have AMS math enabled.  Odd.

     Are you sure it's "because" but not "therefore"?  They're very
different.  Please note that I'm talking about the meaning, not the exact
latex syntax because I don't know.

> > 4) Double and triple circulation integrals.  They are like the single
> > circulation integral, ie the integral symbol with a small circle in the
> > middle, but with two and three integrals symbols respectively.
>
> You can always use the underlying LaTeX notation.

     I learnt latex from written notes that my professor gave me, and
sometimes from Internet if I find any.  I don't have any reference book.  So
please tell me what they are.