A long time ago, Allan wrote:

Allan> Other developers: You might like to take a look at this also
Allan> and I think we're really going to have to make a press release
Allan> about this. In fact, I'm inclinded to just merge my two
Allan> paragraphs above with what I've already written on my web page
Allan> and release that. Comments?

Allan, it would be nice to have on our www pages a correct description
of what is going on wrt versions numbers. Currently, we still have a
description of this linux-like version number nonsense... Since
writing more than a few lines is a real pain for me, I'd rather see
some of our brave english-speaking devvies do it...