²On Tue, 25 Jan 2000, Jean-Marc Lasgouttes wrote:

> Abdel> checking for prefix by checking for reLyX... (cached) ./reLyX
>
> Do you have '.' in your PATH? This is probably the reason why reLyX
> is found in the build directory. Besides the fact that having '.' in

yes...

> the PATH is a bad idea, I am not sure how I could avoid that... I'll
> have to thing about it.

I agree with you but that's the default for slackware and I guess that the
newbie won't even know how to remove '.' from his PATH, anyway, without  it, the
problem is resolved...

> I really hope that linux (and to a lesser extent LyX) will help
> computing in Africa. It has been predicted for some time, but I find
> that it takes a lot of time to take off... It's a pity.

Let's not loose faith. Just by watching how my students are getting
motivated, I'm convinced that it will take off !! But as I said in a previous
mail, this is less than a year since we're connected to the internet so it will
obviously take some time. Anyway, most of the ISP in Africa are based on Linux
and we already have some civil aviation telecommunication solutions based on
Linux systems...
As in Asia, most of the software are illegal copies in Africa and Microsoft is
already talking about this to the different governments. So Linux is definitly a
solution to this problem, and on the road it will develops the skills of its
users.... Oups, sorry about talking that much...

> If you think that it could be useful to African users, you
are very > welcome to do so. There is some information about that at
> http://www.devel.lyx.org/mirror.php3

Well at least this will catch their interests, so I'll do that...

Regards,
Abdel.

PS: Y'a t'il une version française du site???

--
Abdelrazak YOUNES
Instructeur EAMAC