On Thu, 23 Mar 2000 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> I've just installed lyx 1.0.4 from rpm and attempted to start it on a
> NCD19r black and white XTerminal.  During start up it cores.  It displays
> these messages on the starting console:
>
> [perry@myst2 perry]$ lyx
> In CreateXPM [pixmap.c 303] error converting: (Can't get color)
> In CreateXPM [pixmap.c 303] error converting: (Can't get color)
> In CreateXPM [pixmap.c 303] error converting: (Can't get color)
> In CreateXPM [pixmap.c 303] error converting: (Can't get color)
> In CreateXPM [pixmap.c 303] error converting: (Can't get color)
> In CreateXPM [pixmap.c 303] error converting: (Can't get color)
> In CreateXPM [pixmap.c 303] error converting: (Can't get color)
> In CreateXPM [pixmap.c 303] error converting: (Can't get color)
> In CreateXPM [pixmap.c 303] error converting: (Can't get color)
>
> lyx: SIGSEGV signal caught
> Sorry, you have found a bug in LyX. If possible, please read 'Known bugs'
> under the Help menu and then send us a full bug report. Thanks!
> Bye.
> Aborted (core dumped)
>
> I'm running the .rpm install so I don't have debugging compiled in, and at
> the moment I don't have time to recompile (I wanted to use lyx to write an
> overdue report...), anyway heres the information:
>
> (gdb) where
> #0  0x401df111 in __kill ()
> #1  0x401ded66 in raise (sig=6) at ../sysdeps/posix/raise.c:27
> #2  0x401e0447 in abort () at ../sysdeps/generic/abort.c:88
> #3  0x8056368 in fl_set_button ()
> #4  <signal handler called>
> #5  0x3ffecccc in ?? ()
> #6  0x400e0de9 in XFreeFont ()
> #7  0x4003fd46 in fl_set_font_name ()
> #8  0x8056c56 in fl_set_button ()
> #9  0x804e154 in fl_set_button ()
> #10 0x804de78 in fl_set_button ()
> #11 0x401d8cb3 in __libc_start_main (main=0x804dd70 <fl_set_button+192>,
>     argc=1, argv=0xbffffd94, init=0x804c6f0 <_init>, fini=0x81965ac <_fini>,
>     rtld_fini=0x4000a350 <_dl_fini>, stack_end=0xbffffd8c)
>     at ../sysdeps/generic/libc-start.c:78
> (gdb)
>
> this looks vaguely corrupt to me, but I hope it's helpful.  I'm running a
> reasonably unmodified RH6.0 on this machine.
>
> Relevant libraries and their version etc:
> tetex: 0.9 (release 17)
> tetex-dvi: 0.9 (release 17)
> tetex-latex: 0.9 (release 17)
> glibc: 2.1.1 (release 6)
> xforms: 0.88 (release 8)
> XFree86-libs: 3.3.3.1 (release 49)
> xpm: 3.4j (release 5)

This backtrace is different to others I've seen with colour limitations
but I'll go out on a limb and suggest that you may be experiencing a
problem caused by an incorrect xforms version.  If your xforms isn't
compiled for glib2.1 then you should upgrade that.  Another possibility is
that some of the rpms were built against other different libraries and
that may cause a problem (libXpm or libX for example).

Start with checking xforms.  Get the rpm from Kayvan Sylvan's
ftp.sylvan.com/pub/lyx that has glibc2.1 in its name.

I'm not sure if Kayvan provides a lyxgdb-1.0.4-?.i386.rpm that contains a
debugging version of lyx-1.0.4 but if there's one there grab it.

If you are not using a lyx-1.0.4 rpm from Kayvan's site you might want to
try using one of his instead.  They are the "official" unofficial rpms.

> When I run lyx, it pops up with the main window and the splash screen but
> dies immediately afterwards.  running with -mono still causes it to crash.
> Running with -dbg 12271 (everything but the lexer/parser) it adds
> 'Initializing LyXFunc', 'Initializing LyXView...done' and then
> 'BufferView::redraw()' just before it says 'lyx: SIGSEGV signal caught'.

You might be able to survive with:  lyx -private
which will allocate a private colormap.  That should at least let you run
lyx although that should only be considered a temporary workaround.
Also try adding -Mono to the above.

>  NCD19r Xterminal
>   running v3.1.0 X version of it's Xserver (I guess)
>
> I hope this is helpful, if anyone has any suggestions I'll give them a go.

Not sure what that version number refers to either.

Allan. (ARRae)