Ok, Allan, a final report before I go home.

I have managed to compile the "rae" branch of CVS making a
few v.small changes to do so. I can compile with lyxstring
using JMarc's suggested change to LString.h

Having compiled the branch as is, I then made four
tiny changes:

src/lyxfunc.C line 753:
-               MenuPrint(owner->buffer());
+               owner->getDialogs()->showPrint();

src/frontends/xforms/Dialogs.C, line 17
+       dialogs_.push_back(new FormPrint(lf, this));

src/frontends/xforms/FormPrint.h:
-#ifdef __GNUG__
-#pragma interface
-#endif
(These one allows the code to link)

src/frontends/xforms/FormPrint.C, line 219
-                            _("Print"));
+                            _("Print (New)"));
(Just to prove to myself that I launch the new dialog)

I then ran the newly compiled executable and opened up the
print dialog. It opens fine and displays the default
settings, so geting info from PrinterParams appears Ok.

I then tried to print to file (changing the default name to
newoutput.ps). This fails, but the output to shell shows
that the name at least is passed correctly to PrinterParams:

This is dvipsk 5.58f Copyright 1986, 1994 Radical Eye Software
' TeX output 2000.03.28:2128' -> '/tmp/lyx_tmp6766aaa/lyx_bufrtmp6766aaa/newoutput.ps'
dvips: ! couldn't open PostScript file

Some bad news however. There are many messages to the
xterm of the form:

Unaligned access pid=6766 <lyx> va=11fffe68a pc=1200bf904 ra=1200bf3e0 type=lds

Some work still to do, it would appear.

If you can tell me now to make a diff file between my
sources and those on the rae branch of cvs, I'll send you a
patch of the (trivial) changes that I've made to get this
far. (Note that this is entirely independent of the stuff I
did before. This is simply getting your stuff to run on my
machine with egcs-1.1.2 and GNU STL).

Good night all,
Angus