On Mon, Sep 11, 2006 at 09:25:24PM +0200, Michael Gerz wrote:

> Sorry but I have to disagree strongly. Why on earth do we have "cut" &
> "paste" in the "edit" menu? Because it is so efficient to use the menu?
> Definitely not! Because every word processor has it? Ugh, didn't John
> teach us for years that this is an invalid reason and we need a
> reasonable design rationale instead?

Actually that wasn't what I said. "Other WPs have it" is actually a good
reason for something. But everything must be measured up in terms of
pro's and con's.

You might be surprised at how many people actually use those menu items.
I've seen a lot of pretty competent users do so.  They're a
LONG-standing tradition, and we would seriously faze a lot of people if
they weren't there.

In comparison, consider File->Save. Whilst traditional, it's the cause
of a huge amount of usability problems and really needs to die in every
application. I have little hope of this ever happening alas.

> I find it quite amusing that you list a couple of word processors and
> ALL of them have these features (+ many more) in their menus (and you
> forgot to list UltraEdit). Then, when looking at LyX, you discover that
> they don't fit well in our menu structure. Conclusion: They are evil, we
> don't want them. ... oh well ...

Unfortunately the menus are the essence of compromise...

regards
john