On Tue, Sep 12, 2006 at 03:50:12PM +0100, John Levon wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 12, 2006 at 11:32:44AM +0200, Helge Hafting wrote:
>
> > Please tell - what is the problem with File->Save?  Logically,
> > saving is an operation on a file.  What do you want instead,
> > document->save? Or something completely different?
>
> I can only point you to "About Face", a pretty excellent book about UI
> design. But the fundamental problem is that File->Save is exposing the
> wrong mental model to the user, and is strictly unnecessary.

Well, taking a look at that book might be a good idea, thanks for
the tip. See if the library can get it.

I don't get the part about mental models though.  Documents
are stored in files - and the users know that.  It isn't
a model - it is how this computer stuff actually happen
on a low level.  Not that low a level actually - so many
people understands this well enough.  Perhaps the wording
could be better, but the functionality is useful.

Saving is *often* unnecessary because the app should do that
when you close it anyway.  But sometimes I want to save something
so I can mail a copy off somewhere, then keep working on it.
So I don't want to close and reopen. And I don't want to fill
lyx up with "mail it, scp it, ftp it ..." either.  I can't
see how to do this without a "save".

Now, if we could outlaw message boxes, modal dialogs, and
apps that do too much in a single process . . .

Helge Hafting