lyx-devel> I did CC -E and found: namespace std { extern "C" { const
lyx-devel> char * strstr ( const char * , const char * ) ; }

lyx-devel>     extern "C++" { inline char * strstr ( char * _c , const
lyx-devel> char * _d ) { return ( char * ) strstr ( ( const char * )
lyx-devel> _c , _d ) ; } } }

lyx-devel> Does this help? Should I file a bug report to Sun?

No, the C++ standard says that the two possible forms are

char const * strstr(char const *, char const *)
char * strstr(char  *, char const *)

It certainly makes sense, now that I think of it. I did not find
anything in the standard about putenv(), though.