Andre Poenitz wrote:
On Thu, Sep 14, 2006 at 02:09:01PM +0200, Abdelrazak Younes wrote:
Abdelrazak Younes wrote:
Georg Baum wrote:
Then I suggest that you don't get involved anymore in the converting
business, that will be easier for all of us.
I might do that indeed.
Just a final note about this transition: I've spent many hours already trying to convert filetools to docstring. The big problem is that one single change is affecting a lot of code. IMHO it does not make sense to put lyx::to/from_utf8() everywhere to cope with the code that is impacted by the API change. So I changed these codes too... but then touching those codes impacts a lot of other codes, etc, etc. This is really a spaghetti nightmare...

Right.

The current step-by-step conversion tactics basically means that one
shift the conversion border once in babysteps through the whole of LyX.

With this 8000-items-headcount somebody came up with, you're basically
touching 8000 places in the code only to arrive at a position close to
the one you'd had arrived at with global search-and-replace.

That's another facet of wasting resources...

Not mine at least ;-)

If only Lars and Georg work on this, I am afraid that it will take some time before all the corner cases are worked out step by step.

So my final conclusion is that we should do that in one go and be done with it. Doing it like we're doing now on a case by case basis is _really_ too time consuming. This is of course my personal opinion.

And you'll get the usual opinions from the usual suspects...

I know... but that's a pity really. I have globally replaced "string" in the source code and guess what? Most of the code compile as is...

Abdel.