Uwe Stöhr wrote:
Maybe my email sound a bit grumpy but what are you talking about? I am working together with you to improve the installer (...)

I really appreciate your help.

Here I'm talking about having one official Windows installer instead of both official and unofficial versions.

We've discussed it several times in private mails that I have problems understanding your code and of course that my project that I spend so many time to, was replaced from one day by another by your new one.

As I said before, I will explain every piece of code you don't understand.

But OK it is like it is, but why shouldn't it be allowed to offer improvements in a different installer.

You are of course allowed to do so since LyX is an open-source project. It is however not a good thing to confuse users will two different installers.

The official installer also contains many improvements that are not in the LyXWinInstaller, like the things the LyX developers requested for an installer to be the official one and the modular code base to generate multiple installers. It is also directly integrated with the build system.

Why don't you want to make your work official?

Even such small but very useful things like showing the table and math toolbar automatically when the cursor is in a table/formula wasn't accepted.

There are also people (like Jean-Marc) who disagree. Instead of creating an unofficial modification, it is much more efficient to look at the reasons why it is not yet acceptable and to find a better solution, like we are doing right now.

E.g. the configuration possibilities of MiKTeX's automatic package installation and the PDF-image crop feature were developed especially for us LyXers and the Win installer. So let's use them.

But anyway, good to see that we start discussing about this.

---

I was the last time often asked if LyX could have a menu entry to create numbered formulas. The patch for this is easy because we already have a lyxfunc combination for it, could this be implemented? This feature will speed up writing because you don't need to create a formula and in a second step number it.

Apparently some of these things got lost in all the discussions on the list. If you can send the patches again, I am sure it is possible to solve these problems.

Joost