Enrico Forestieri wrote:
Why? Isn't the X button enough?

Huh? You were asking for a way to open a new window with the same
document loaded in it, or did I get you wrong?

For example, the first time I used
powerpoint with two different documents, I was really surprised and
upset by the fact that quitting a document window by hitting the X
shaped icon in the upper right corner was also quitting the other
window.

You're wrong here. Clicking the X only closes the current window, not the others. That's also how Microsoft Office works.

Having both a "Close Window" menu entry and an X button is not necessary.

Joost