On Tue, Oct 31, 2006 at 12:58:12PM +0100, Georg Baum wrote:

> Enrico Forestieri wrote:

> >> yeah, it does (but i guess that this is secondary)
>
> Nevertheless it is confusing if one "output" setting does also influence the
> display, while the others don't.
>
> > It makes sense having different rotations for output and display.
>
> I don't agree.
>
> > I recently stumbled on postscript files turning out rotated in LyX
> > display but with the correct orientation in the output.
>
> That is a converter problem. Some converters try to be smart and rotate
> images if they are wider than high. This has happened for me e.g. for
> png->eps conversion with the netpbm utilities. I have also seen it with
> postscript files where the eps->png conversion that is used for display
> rotated the image.
> This problem should be fixed on the converter side, otherwise you will get
> different rotations depending on whether you run latex or pdflatex.

True.

> If none of your converters rotates images then a different setting for LyX
> display is not needed.

But I simply used the default converter chosen by LyX and the rotation
was actually depending on using latex or pdflatex. So, I was getting
different rotations in output but still the same orientation in LyX
display. This is confusing by itself, whether or not I am able to
rotate differently the image in LyX display. So, I still think that it
makes sense having different rotations for output and display.

--
Enrico