Michael Gerz wrote:
Helge Hafting wrote:

I was hoping to avoid the case where a "new change" happens
in the middle of something, just because a 5-minute border happened
in the middle of some typing.  So, merging adjacent changes
(by the same author) that only differ by 5 minutes (or whatever the
granularity becomes) is what I'd like.

Great :-(

What you describe in your email, is exactly what I implemented before. But due to your former complaints, the changetime has become completely irrelevant.

Seems I am bad at explaining what I think then, I was just worried about
getting "one job" arbitrarily divided into lots of changes because of
the clock ticking.

If you want me to restore the former behaviour (with the tolerance interval), go down to your knees! Otherwise, it stays as it is :-)
Don't worry too much about me - it is just ideas and wishes.  Having
working change tracking is much more important than this fine-tuning.
Change merge behavior won't touch file format or user interface, so
it can be adjusted anytime later _if_ there is a problem.

Pay more attention to people who use change tracking a lot, and so really
know how it ought to work.
Most of my coworkers don't use lyx, so this rarely comes up for me.

Helge Hafting