Am Samstag, 4. November 2006 11:24 schrieb Abdelrazak Younes:
> Abdelrazak Younes wrote:
> > Georg, Andre, Lars,
> >
> > Please review this patch; I am not quite sure these are the correct
> > fixes for the MSVC warning. But it seems to parse math correctly.
>
> It was not (due to the size problem pointed out by Asger). What do you
> think of this one?
>
> IIRC, this will enable us to show most unicode characters in mathed.

The fact that we use unicode internally does not change Knuth's TeX engine.
It is still 7bit only, not even latin1 or something like that. Therefore,
the catcode table needs only to have 128 entries. Everything not in that
range is catOther. I guess that it has currently 256 entries because that
avoided the if clause in pre-unicode times, and the additional memory was
negligible.

Now we can't do without the if clause anymore as Asger pointed out, and
then we can as well reduce the table to only cover the pure ASCII range.

Georg