On Wed, Jan 03, 2007 at 11:17:25AM +0100, Abdelrazak Younes wrote:

> Georg Baum wrote:
> > - As I read Abdel's patch (and as it was meant AFAIK) it overwrites the
> > clipboard with the selection.
>
> Yes but I proposed to remove this clipboard overwriting.
>
> > This destroys a very common feature (pasting
> > something over a selection). Now you don't see that, but I don't
> > understand why.
>
> Me neither because with my patch, the clipboard _is_ overwritten with my
> patch.

I experimented a bit more and saw that the clipboard is overwritten
by the selection _only_ if I press middle-button _while_ there is a
selection. Doing so, the selected test is copied to the clipboard and
also pasted at the cursor position. This is quite confusing, indeed.

> > - The same behaviour of LyX across platforms unless there is a very
> > important reason against it. Such a reason could either be a different
> > platform standard (this is e.g. the case with the disconnected menubar on
> > the Mac), or in the case of the selection it is simply not available on
> > windows.
> > If you now want to reuse the middle mouse button which does nothing on
> > windows for something else than a true selection, then that should not be
> > the default, but configurable. If a user switches from X11 to windows or
> > vice versa it is very obvious if the middle mouse button does not paste
> > anything on windows. If it does something slightly different on windows
> > than on X11 this is not so obvious and destroys the simple mental model of
> > selection. Therefore people who what to use a pseudo selction on windows
> > should explicitly enable it.
> >
> > I hope I made myself clear now.
>
> Yes, it's very clear.
>
> OK, we have a compromise then. Enrico, would you like to take care of
> the preference setting? This should be a "Enable middle-mouse pasting"
> check-box in the Preference settings dialog somewhere in the "Look&Feel"
> section. Of course this check-box should not be visible on non X11
> platforms. I am sure that Mac users would like it also.

I can try that.

--
Enrico