Am Samstag, 6. Januar 2007 01:17 schrieb Enrico Forestieri:

> If I understand correctly, you would like to treat the selection as a
> sort of internal clipboard which is allowed to be filled by a simple
> selection and whose contents can be pasted with middle-button.

That is how I understood it, too.

> All of this would be internal, and would only be possible in the same
> instance of lyx. Well, you will be able to do that if you will survive
> the duel ;-)
>
> No, now seriously, don't you think that to allow this facility you are
> sacrificing the interoperability of lyx with the other X11 applications?
> I think so, and also believe that this is not worth.

That depends on the implementation. If this feature will be implemented, it
must be implemented in such a way that the internal selection buffer gets
cleared if another applications requests selection ownership. This is
AFAIK also how all other applications that have this feature implement it.

If you are not talking about X11 applications on X11, but about X11
applications displayed on windows, using an X server that copies the
selection to the clipboard: Then you simply see that the selection can't
be completely emulated using the clipboard.

Georg