Am Sonntag, 14. Januar 2007 20:00 schrieb Uwe Stöhr:
> Georg wrote:
>
>  > These files are in the source package, so it looks like Joost or you
forgot
>  > to package them for windows.
>
> When I compile LyX using SCons the TOC-files aren't created, so how could
this be done?

If you compile from the source package they are already there. Otherwise
you need to build them manually by executing the commands in
Makefile.depend, or add the capability to build them to scons.

>  > BTW, lib/clipart/Abstract.lyx looks suspicious. Why is it in clipart?
>
> As source code for the PDF with the same name. Shall I remove it?

What is the purpose of Abstract.pdf? It does not seem to be referenced
anywhere.

> I want to change from PDF to EPS for the following reasons
> - the PDFs are smaller
> - when creating a DVI, ImageMagick converts the PDF to EPS that means
there is in every case only
>    one converter program needed - I had some reports that users with
buggy eps2pdf weren't able to
>    view the userguide as PDF

Then they should get a better eps2pdf. These images are pretty standard
postscript code AFAIK. If they can't convert it to pdf they probably
cannot convert other files either, so rather than partially work around
buggy eps2pdf converters we should tell users what versions are not buggy.

> - It turns out that the users prefer PDF, ando viewing/creating PDFs is
much faster when using
>    PDF-images, especialy in the Extended-Insets manual that uses lots of
images

That more users prefer pdf than ps is an assertion that I don't believe. I
can imagine that you got that impression from feedback you got from
windows users, but that is not representative. Since we don't know how
many users are happy with DVI or postscript and simply don't see a need to
write that to somebody we can't tell which format is preferred. I for
example prefer clearly PS for output, since that is the fastest to preview
for me on linux (with gv).

The eps->pdf conversion can be almost avoided if you enable the image cache
(and that has the advantage that it will speed up other conversions, too).

But anyway: Even if we switch to pdf we should only have one format, and
such a switch needs certainly to be discussed first.

> Now the docs should be in sync --- but I just see that Michael has
renamed it from Extended-Insets
> to ExtendedInsets, but not in the 1.4.x branch, so that it's out of sync
again.

Yes, that should be done in both trees. I guess Michael waits for
Jean-Marc's OK for 1.4.

Georg