> Change beamer.layout to start with (untested)
>
> #% Do not delete the line below; configure depends on this
> #  \DeclareLaTeXClass[beamer.cls,pgf.sty,xcolor.sty]{Beamer Presentation
Class}

This won't really help because the problematic is the following:

Uwe> \TestPackage{pgf} % needed by beamer
Uwe> \TestPackage{xcolor} % needed by beamer
Uwe>
Uwe> Without these packages beamer is unusable.

> Because MikTeX will not download them by default, right?

When chklatex.ltx is invoked, MiKTeX will download/install the packages checked there. Currently we only check for beamer, that means MiKTeX only installs beamer and not xcolor and pgf. If the user uses now beamer, latex will use also the missing packages and, if an internet connection is opened, MiKTeX will install them at runtime. This is fine, but if no internet in on the user will get LaTeX-error messages about missing packages.

So if we we recommand to install LyX while the internet is on we could assure that all needed packages are installed when we check for them in chkconfig.ltx. I let you decide, yes or no, it'ts not that important as the user can install the packages later and most of the users won't get LaTeX error when MiKteX installs them in the background at runtime.

---
Btw. The MiKTeX developer is working on the problem that chklatex.ltx is quit at the first check when no internet connection is available. I'll inform you if the fix is ready.

regards Uwe