Uwe> I wrote:
>> But in general although if we developers don't need this button we
>> should consider the users needs. From time to time there are
>> questions how to create a new line in the same item. We use
>> Ctrl-Return, but users don't want to learn shortcuts. If a user
>> don't use LyX every day he will surely have forgotten that he has
>> to use Ctrl-Return. So although I don't use it I think its useful
>> for many users.

Uwe> Therefore I named the button not "linebreak" but

Uwe> Item "New line in same item" "break-line"

I think you outline very well why this icon should not be there ;)
The NewLine inset is not related _at_all_ to lists! If one wants to
add a second paragraph to an item, the solution is to increase
paragraph depth on a standard paragraph.

There are some rare cases where \\ (newline) is useful, but it should
in general not be encouraged. Therefore adding an icon for it is
wrong.