Jean-Marc Lasgouttes wrote:
> Jürgen> The corresponding shortcut for disabling ligatures? Its
> Jürgen> [EMAIL PROTECTED]""[EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
> Jürgen> while \textcompwordmark is:
> Jürgen> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
> OK, so it is almost the same.

Actually, I cited the wrong command ("" is for a possible line break without
hyphenation). This is the correct one:

[EMAIL PROTECTED]"|}{%
  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
              \allowhyphens}{}}

Compared to textcompwordmark, there are slight differences in Kerning (if you
zoom up), and furthermore,  textcompwordmark is limited when it comes to
hyphenating.

> Jürgen> For the case in question, however, I wonder if {} wouldn't
> Jürgen> just do the trick.
>
> No because in some cases (if the text is an argument of some commands)
> the {} is expanded and disappears.

But we are talking only about verbatim << and >> only here. I don't see why
this could happen.

> And the textcompwordmark can be
> read back by tex2lyx.

OK, this makes sense.