Uwe Stöhr schrieb:
> But what are the differences between the two installers? My impression
> is that Joost's installer is techniquely advanced, and Uwe's installer
> takes care of lot of issues of third-party applications.

I listed the differences here:
http://wiki.lyx.org/Windows/LyXWinInstaller
(This is against LyX 1.4.3-5, so ignore the toolbar changes.)

Uwe,

I think the major problem with your installer (from its very beginning) was that you changed LyX's behaviour.

OK, you said that your "customers" asked for these changes and it is your right to modify LyX (no doubt).

However, for an "official LyX installer" this is inacceptable. The lyx-devel discussions seem to indicate that others share my concern.

The only thing where Joost's installer is technically advanchangeced is the ability to install LyX without admin privileges.
Given the amount of effort that Joost has spent on his installer, I doubt that this is the only difference. Moreover, your installer (small edition) is > 20 MB whereas Joost's version comprises about 8 MB. Some people (like me) do not want to download a large bunch of tools with every LyX update.

Uwe, why are Joost's sources so uncomprehensible? IIRC he is one of the NSIS programmers which means that he has some experience with the development of installers.

Michael