> Q:... Can either of the installers be used to upgrade a LyX installation? In
other words, what
> happens if there already is a LyX installation?

If LyX's version number is different the existing LyX is kept untouched and can be used side by side with the new installer version.

I will implement a direct update feature but long term LyXers prefer to have the old version untouched and at the moment we change many thins especially on the Windows side with every release, e.g. the update from 1.4.3 to 1.4.4 is quite huge also the installer and third-party stuff.
But for the 1.5.1 installer updating 1.5.0 to 1.5.1 should be possible.

regards Uwe