On Wed, May 03, 2000 at 10:05:57AM +1000, Allan Rae wrote:
> I'd rather we improved the integration of external programs than try to
> duplicate their capabilities into LyX.  It should be possible using XTL in
> LyX and some corresponding externalization support in the external
> programs to get/set anything we can change internally.  In this case it's
> only a string of keys though so there isn't a need for XTL here.
>
> What we do need though is support in the LyXServer for get/setting more
> stuff.  In this case it'd be handy to be able to push instructions to the
> external bibliography utility to display a string of keys from a given
> citation.  We could even set things up so that C-o opened the external
> utility's dialog with the appropriate data instead of our own dialog.

If we want to rely on external program, it should use the same GUI toolkit(s)
the LyX uses, and it should be distributed with LyX.
At present, there isn't any bibliography program that uses XForms.

This is not a bad idea for the long run, but I do want to code a simple
citation dialog to replace the current one, and I'm not going to spent very
much time on it (I may even add natbib support in the process).