Michael Gerz wrote:

> A little warning to all pdflatex users (at least to those using the
> latest MikTeX 2.5):
>
>       pdflatex prefers PNG files over PDF files!!!!
>
> Since LyX outputs graphics file names without file extension _and_
> generates PNG files for internal use, pdflatex erroneously picks the PNG
> graphics. Depending on the type of graphics, the result can be very poor!

Just for info:
I fear that this is not restricted to miktex, even my very old tetex2 box
lists the png rule as first one in texmf/tex/latex/graphics/pdftex.def.
Otherwise it would be a very nasty miktex bug if miktex would change these
rules. The patch is still in my queue, but I won't have time to test and
put it in during this week.

Georg