Two of my students, Inge SolvÄg and Stian Schie Bergan
have written a java program for editing lyx .layout files.

Screenshot of the program running on windows:
http://www.aitel.hist.no/~helgehaf/lyxlayout.png

The program has some limitations, particularly that it refuse to load
a .layout if it contains stuff not yet supported by it.  It didn't want to
load my .layout files. But it is at least a nice start!

The program can load and save .layout files, and provides a GUI
for setting various options.

The program itself, if anyone want to have a look right now:
http://www.aitel.hist.no/~helgehaf/lyxlayout.zip
Unfortunately, I don't have time to look more at it until next week.

Helge Hafting