>>  OK, here is the still untested second iteration. I introduce a
>> helper isNeeded, which is equivalent to "isRequired && ! provided"
>> (if you have a better name, please tell). With this change, any
>> feature known to LyX can be provided by a class.

Martin> "mustProvide"

Good idea.

Martin> I think this is an important simplification, even deserving
Martin> the name "bug fix". With it, I can fix the "Provide babel" bug
Martin> for EGS (and presumably others) much more easily.

While this provides the infrastructure for "Provides babel", I suspect
that some code changes will be needed to make it work (and the
semantics of this should be defined).