Georg Baum wrote:
Dov Feldstern wrote:
2) You can't see it in the screenshot, but the cursor is not positioned
correctly once the Arabic appears (I guess it's getting the wrong
metrics for the Arabic characters). So that'll have to be fixed. What's
strange to me is that it must be getting it right somewhere, because the
painting is ultimately done in the correct place? --- but I don't really
understand how any of this works.

Me neither.

There's still some work to do in the metrics cache to properly support Arabic. I think that's the reason.

3) I haven't done anything with the backend, yet, there's certainly work
that needs to be done there. (The main thing I wanted to make sure right
now, is that we can take care of the Gui without any major changes, like
having to use Qt's bidi/shaping. The backend is a totally separate
issue.) I don't know much about this, but my starting point to test this
out would be Dekel's pages (http://www.cs.bgu.ac.il/~dekelts/lyx/ ---
there are instructions there for both Hebrew and Arabic. Note, however,
that these instructions are fairly old, and for 1.5 they may not have to
followed exactly. Also, BTW, I'm almost certain that the screenshot
there *is* a mockup!) One problem that I can see arising in this regard,
is that the instructions for Hebrew and Arabic seem to be incompatible
--- it would be a shame if we couldn't use Hebrew and Arabic in the same
document. It would be really great if someone who knows more about the
various Hebrew/Arabic language packages for latex could take a look at
this and try to work it out...

I fear we still have so much to do for 1.5.0 that this has to wait for
later. I am already very pleased if 1.5.0 can do everything that 1.4.x can
do.

/me too. Good work guys!

Abdel.