Marc Flerackers wrote:

> Abdelrazak Younes wrote:
>> Marc Flerackers wrote:
>>> Another issue is that (as far as I know) you need to enclose cjk text
>>> with \begin{CJK}{UTF8}{ipam} and \end{CJK} each time when writing
>>> Japanese in an English document. More practically would be a setting
>>> for a cjk font, and a cjk mode or even auto-recognition of cjk
>>> characters.

This is what I plan to do.

>> Auto-recognition would be easy (and I think we should do the same for
>> RTL languages but that is another story).

We discussed that already (for RTL), and the conclusion was that we should
_not_ try to automatically recognize it.
What I did so far was to define 4 new languages: Korean, Japanese, Chinese
traditional and Chinese simplified. Users would need to mark the text as
one of these in order to get the CJK environment.

The difficult thing is to get the encoding switches right, since we cannot
always use utf8 for the whole document. This is the part of the patch that
is not yet working.

>> I guess we just have to enclose any word (even single character?) with
>> the cited \begin{CJK}{UTF8}{ipam} and \end{CJK} when doing
> Yes, but "ipam" replaced with the currently selected cjk font :). The
> ipam font comes from IPA
> (http://www-alg.ist.hokudai.ac.jp/~jan/japfonts.html).

What I plan is to ignore the font completely, and write something like
\begin{CJK}{UTF8}{} and \end{CJK}. The font can still be set globally, and
IMO it is enough work to get the language and encoding stuff working. The
fonts can be supported later (e.g. 1.6).

Georg