Enrico Forestieri wrote:
On Thu, Apr 26, 2007 at 03:33:59PM +0200, Abdelrazak Younes wrote:
Enrico Forestieri wrote:
On Thu, Apr 26, 2007 at 02:55:57PM +0200, Andre Poenitz wrote:

Could you take out libtools?
Why?
Because it's dead slow and unneeded?
:-)

This is your opinion, of course ;-)

It was a fact last time I tried autotools in cygwin/mingw :-)

I agree about the slowness but I don't think that it is unneeded as
it frees you from understanding the internals of various architectures.
For example, in cygwin shared libraries have .dll extension and import
libraries are named .dll.a. You don't need to know about all of this.
Even on Solaris, shared libraries are dealt with using different switches
than on Linux. Again, you don't need to know what are the differences
if you use libtool.

I agree that it could be useful for libraries but AFAIR libtool was run on each and every C++ file. This basically doubles to required time for compilation on windows.

Please, let's stop this diatribe on autotools.

I really don't care if we switch or not on unixes. We de facto switched to scons already on windows (and CMake for development). I don't think there is a need to think more about that. IOW the statu quo is perfectly fine for me :-)

Abdel.