On Thu, May 25, 2000 at 01:52:47AM +0200, Lars Gullik Bjønnes wrote:
> "Garst R. Reese" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
> | If I add a new .cls or .sty file to my local tex or to LyX in
> | /usr/local/share/lyx/tex, it has to be made visible to teTeX with a
> | texhash.
>
> This did at least not use to be true. It should also be possible to
> add locals dirs that always will be searched. Some magic use of
> colons. And since this is kpathsea stuff it should be usable by tetex
> as well.

Yes.

My TEXINPUTS is as follows:

.:/home/kayvan/src/tex/sty:!!/usr/share/texmf/{tex,pdftex}/{generic,}//

The !! part specifies the directories that are NOT searched by recursive
directory searching.

What this means is that ``.'' and all its subdirectories are searched, my
personal style file directory (and all its subdirectories are searched),
and then the standard tex directories are only searched by using the
file database (ls-R file).

All of this info is in the kpathsea.info file.

--
Kayvan A. Sylvan                   | Proud husband of      | Father to my kids:
Sylvan Associates, Inc.            | Laura Isabella Sylvan | Katherine Yelena