Great, maybe we should start with the install stuff. Shouldn't be that hard,
there are the commands install_targets and install_files, which trigger cmake
to generate the build rules.
The bigger problem is that we have to figure out what we should do when
installing:
only copying files? What is more readable scons or the autofiles.

There are two file structures, windows and *nix and you need to pay
extra attention to how suffix is handled. Things like --prefix and
--DISTDIR can make your life a bit difficult. You may also need to
compile po files.

The install section of SConstruct is a bit messy but should be easier
to understand than autotools.

Bo