Hi,
I'm attaching the promised documentation to the -userdir feature.
I wasn't sure about something:

This feature allows having several personal configuration directories
(similar to ~/.lyx). In this case I'd probably like to have the layouts,
docs and similar sub-directories in them be symbolic links to ~/.lyx so I
have less maintenance to do. However, if the "Options -> Reconfigure"
script writes in these directories, and not only in lyxrc, then it may not
be a good idea.

Could someone comment on this?

Lior.

On 29 May 2000, Jean-Marc Lasgouttes wrote:

> Lior> BTW If you think it's useful, I canadd a pagaraph somewhere in
> Lior> the docs about 'running lyx with multiple configurations'.
>
> Would you care to submit something? :)
>
> JMarc

#LyX 1.1 created this file. For more info see http://www.lyx.org/
\lyxformat 2.16
\textclass article
\language default
\inputencoding latin1
\fontscheme default
\graphics default
\paperfontsize default
\spacing single
\papersize Default
\paperpackage a4
\use_geometry 0
\use_amsmath 0
\paperorientation portrait
\secnumdepth 3
\tocdepth 3
\paragraph_separation indent
\defskip medskip
\quotes_language english
\quotes_times 2
\papercolumns 1
\papersides 1
\paperpagestyle default

\layout Subsection

Running
\latex latex
 LyX with multiple configurations
\layout Standard

The configuration freedom of the local configuration directory may not suffice
 if you want to have more than one configuration at your disposal.
 For example, you may want to be use different key bindings or printer settings
 at different times.
 You can achieve this by having several such directories.
 You then specify which directory to use at run-time.
\layout Standard

Invoking LyX with the command line switch
\family typewriter
-userdir
\family default
\emph on
<some directory>
\emph default
 instructs the program to read the configuration from that directory, and
 not from the default directory (you can determine the default directory
 by running LyX without this switch as described above).
 If this directory does not exist, LyX offers to create it for you, just
 like it does for the default directory on the first time you run the program.
 You can modify the configuration options in this additional
\family typewriter
Userdir
\family default
 exactly as you would for the default directory.
 These directories are completely independent (but read on).
\layout Standard

Having several configurations also requires more maintenance: if you want
 to add a new layout to
\family typewriter
Userdir/layouts
\family default
 which you want available from all your configurations, you must add it
 to each directory separately.
 You can avoid this with the following trick: after LyX creates the additional
 directory, most of the subdirectories (see above) are empty.
 If you want the new configuration to mirror an existing one, replace the
 empty subdirectory with a symbolic link to the matching subdirectory in
 the existing configuration.
 Similarly, running
\family sans
\bar under
\bar default
ptions\SpecialChar \menuseparator

\bar under
\bar default
econfigure
\family default
 will only update the configuration for the current
\family typewriter
Userdir
\family default
.
 [
\emph on
Author's Note: Would reconfigure work properly with these cross-referenced
 directories? ---
\emph default
ls].
\layout Standard

[
\emph on
Author's Note: Should we document the environment-variable method to change
 the userdir? ---
\emph default
ls].
\the_end