Jean-Marc Lasgouttes wrote:

> Dave> cd . && automake --foreign --include-deps Makefile aclocal.m4:
> Dave> 1630: `AM_PROG_INSTALL' is obsolete; use `AC_PROG_INSTALL' make:
> Dave> *** [Makefile.in] Error 1
>
> Did you do:
>
> touch Makefile.in */Makefile.in src/config.h.in
>
> as indicated in the patch?

Uh, no. The web page didn't mention it and I think I only looked at the first
patch (wich doesn't need it). It applied cleanly, as well as the rest, so
I didn't look into them. Touching the files solved that problem, thanks.

> Dave> Failed to make directory "reLyX"; File exists mkdir ./reLyX/bin
> Dave> mkdir: Failed to make directory "reLyX/bin"; Not a directory
> Dave> gmake[3]: *** [install-binSCRIPTS] Error 2 gmake[3]: Leaving
> Dave> directory `/home/dave/work/lyx-1.1.4/lib/reLyX'
>
> This might be due to the failed automake run, but I am not sure.

Well, it still happens, with a clean source tree and touched files. And it
happens with all three make utilities I have.
The problem seems to be in:

install-binSCRIPTS: $(bin_SCRIPTS)
        @$(NORMAL_INSTALL)
        $(mkinstalldirs) $(DESTDIR)$(bindir)

Sun's /usr/ccs/bin/make (with debugging turned on) says:
   Building install-binSCRIPTS because it is out of date relative to noweb2lyx

Now, the variable values are strange:
DESTDIR =
bindir= ${exec_prefix}/bin
exec_prefix= ${prefix}
prefix= ./reLyX

I didn't set $prefix anywhere, so it should default to /usr/local. But
it's hardcoded in lib/reLyX/Makefile to ./reLyX. I changed it to /usr/local
and installation went fine. I don't know what generated bogus $prefix
value.

> Dave> I have bitmap ISO 8859-2 fonts. If I select iso8859-2 code page,
> Dave> I can get them on the screen. The problem is getting them in the
> Dave> generated PostScript. I didn't try to print, because I expect
> Dave> that gv previews won't differ in this respect.
>
> Did you try to set document encoding to "latin2"?

I managed to find that option several days after I sent the mail. It solves
my problem nicely. I don't know how I managed to miss that section
in the User's Guide.

However, shouldn't the defaults be set according to the LC_ALL/LC_CTYPE/LANG
environment variables? I do have LC_CTYPE set to hr_HR.ISO8859-2 and no
LANG or LC_ALL.

There's one other bug I've found in the meantime. If I open dialog windows
(such as Layout->Document), Window Maker with sound support plays a
"new application opened" sound although it shouldn't. While dialog window is
opened, if I try to iconify the main LyX window, only that window becomes
iconified, but the dialog window stays on the screen, although it shouldn't.

Both things happen because WM_TRANSIENT_FOR property is not being set for
the dialog windows, so window managers can't know that those actually are
transient windows and not the full blown top-level windows. I didn't check
the behaviour with other window managers, so I might be wrong here, but,
as far as I know, WM_TRANSIENT_FOR should be set in cases like this.

--
 .-.   .-.    I don't work for my employer.