I was thinking about display in the same sense as a inline versus display
equation.

  I like this paradigm. What is your reason to change this?

I consider displayed as occupying the who paragraph, nothing to its
left or right. Displayed math formula is of course a perfect example
of this, but many other stuff should also occupy its own lines, such
as newline, newpage, float (?), listings, include file, because these
items also do not share lines with others. Because things like
listings align left in typesetted output, they would better be
displayed as such on screen.

Bo