On 18.05.2007, at 12:32, Abdelrazak Younes wrote:

Andreas Neustifter wrote:
Hi,
I recently switched from 1.4.4 to 1.5.0 beta 2 and was really pleased by the math toolbar that made writing math oriented stuff much faster and easier for me. This toolbar alone is the reason why I want to stick to 1.5.
Unfortunately I experienced the following problem:
As long as i was editing a paragraph with no math inside everything was fine, but as soon as there was one math object in the paragraph, the editing was very slow, typed characters got inserted into the document at about one character per second.
(iBook G4 with 1.5G RAM, OS X 10.4.9)
I fired up the Quartz Debug.app from the Developer Apps and found that while editing a paragraph without math, only the paragraph itself and the scrollbar got updated. As soon as i inserted a math environment LyX started to update the whole text area after each keystroke. (When I deleted the math, again only the paragraph part of the screen is updated.) I compiled QT 4.2.3 and LyX myself today and its the same with 1.5.0 beta 3. Can anyone point me to the relevant sources so I can have a look at it myself?

In principle the single paragraph painting optimization should work even if there's some math in there provided that you are not within math. At least this used to work so I guess something has changed in this area lately.

Concerning your speed problem, I can recommend two things that will bring you a lot of speed:
1) Enable "Instant Preview"
2) Use Qt4.3

Abdel.

Thanks, that really helped a lot. If "Instant Preview" is on, only the paragraph is updated regardless if there is math inside or not. So no reasonable speed concerns now.

I still will try to use QT 4.3 but it takes ages to compile and it will take some time to evaluate with QT4.3.

astifter