Herbert Voss wrote:

> Georg Baum wrote:
>

>>> ??
>>> With latin9 you get a working \textdegree ...
>>> and also some other symbols different to latin1
>>
>> Sure, \textdegree does not depend on the inputenc package.
>
> ??? \inputenc does nothing else than loading
> the definition file ...

I don't understand what you want to tell here.

>> What does not work with \usepackage[latin9]{inputenc} (in TeXlive 2005)
>> is a literal °. It does work with latin1. And this is stupid, because °
>> is contained in the latin9 encoding at the same position as in latin1:
>> 0xb0.
>
> sure, nobody did such a \DeclareTextCommand. But it is really easy
> to do it yourself.

Of course I can. But I believe that inputenc is supposed to do that for me.

> This has nothing to do with inputenc as package.

Then you can surely explain what inputenc is supposed to do? I always
believed that

\usepackage[xxx]{inputenc}

would allow me to type directly in xxx encoding, without the need to use
commands like \textdegree directly, but now you are telling me that that is
wrong?

Georg