Jean-Marc Lasgouttes wrote:

> Herbert> sorry, I cannot follow here
>
> Herbert> dvips -Pabc <file> uses a config.abc file which declares
> Herbert> resolution, font using and paper sizes, and when I print my
> Herbert> ps document then a printer driver is used.
>
> What are the config.abc files autogenerated on modern linux systems
> these days? Does miktex cater for that on windows?

yes and no, they are part of any TeX distribution and
the most common ones are config.ps and config.pdf. Only for
personal use one creates his own one, e.g. for the upcoming
2nd edition of the LaTeX Graphics Companion we have a
config.tlgc, which embeds by default the PostScript fonts
into the generated eps files.

Herbert