Richard> Jean-Marc Lasgouttes wrote:

>>  This is how it used to be in the good old time, but Abdel decided
>> that automatic was cooler...

Richard> Cooler, definitely, and this is what users will expect,
Richard> especially with the navigate menu. So there is also the
Richard> question about how one might regenerate the navigation menu.

The navigation menu is regenerated just before displaying it. At least
this is what it used to do, without much overhead.