On Jun 6, 2007, at 4:38 AM, Helge Hafting wrote:

Bennett Helm wrote:
On Jun 5, 2007, at 9:52 AM, Jean-Marc Lasgouttes wrote:

"Jürgen" == Jürgen Spitzmüller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

Jürgen> Bennett Helm wrote:
Create a document with multiple occurrences of "foo". Turn change
tracking on, select a chunk of text (including some occurrences of
  "foo"), and delete. Now go to the top and turn change tracking
*off*.   Using Edit > Find & Replace, Replace all instances of
"foo" with   "bar". The instances of "foo" in the change-tracked
deleted text have   now been replaced with instances of "bar", but
they are no longer deleted. This is unexpected -- at least by me.

Jürgen> Here's a patch for replace all. As noted on bugzilla, I'm not
Jürgen> sure we should restrict manual replace.

I think we should restrict manual replace too (if possible). It should not be allowed to do with replace something that would not be possible
via normal editing.

I agree with the last sentence, but notice that the patch doesn't do this! When change tracking is turned off, it is entirely possible to delete -- remove from the file -- text that is marked as deleted.
Then you simply commit (parts of) that deletion, albeit without
using the change tracking machinery. I see nothing very wrong with that.

I don't either.

Nonetheless, I think even manual replace ought to skip deleted text. It's not expected behavior even on manual replace to replace deleted text with undeleted text (as the patch currently allows). And I don't think we should replace deleted text with deleted text either: that obscures the document history which is part of the point of change tracking.
If you turn off change tracking and edit, then surely all new stuff should
be without the change tracking markings. (i.e. not deleted or marked
as inserted by someone.) You may be able to add inside a deleted region,
but that should split the deleted region in two.

In general I see nothing wrong with this; my only complaint was that it is unexpected for this to happen during search and replace.

A user wanting something different should turn the change tracking
on and use it. Adding "deleted text" is a lot like lying about what happened.

There are legitimate reasons for wanting to turn change tracking on and off, depending on what you're doing. I tend to turn it on only when I'm making a major revision to a particular part of a document, especially when I have doubts about whether the revision is an improvement; I then turn it off when making minor changes (like fixing typos or grammatical errors). If I change my mind about what word to use for describing something and want to do a global replace, I turn change tracking off since I don't want change tracking for this change cluttering up the screen (or the printed text if I choose to show changes). But then I don't want LyX to turn a deleted search term into an undeleted replace term; rather, I want deleted text ignored. The same goes with manual search and replace, in part for this reason and in part for the reason you give: adding "deleted text" would be like lying.

Bennett