Edwin> Jean-Marc Lasgouttes wrote:
>> It is completely different: dEPM disallows things that have _no_
>> meaning to LaTeX (like double space). And empty math inset is
>> acceptable, even if it is most of the times not wanted.

Edwin> sure, perhaps latex permits this but when would you want to
Edwin> create an empty math inset?

There are always people who have good reasons to do weird things.
Which should not artificially forbid constructs.

>> None of these solve the problem for an inset containing a hard
>> space, but those who ask for trouble deserve it.

Edwin> maybe we should disallow a space after a backslash in math?

Edwin> or are there situations where this makes sense?

"\ " is pretty useful in maths. It should definitely stay.