Dov Feldstern schrieb:

 * Numbers in Arabic are printed backwards (1234 -> 4321), which is wrong.

It#s up to you to change this. The arabi documentation tells you that you can put this also to a \textL environment.

I'm attaching a patch for the \R -> \AR issue, so that you can play around with it. But it shouldn't be applied, as it breaks ArabTeX!

OK, now I was able to figure out why I get the problematic: I installed ArabTeX AND arabi. arabi uses the babel interface and therefore it is used for Arabic whenever it is installed, no special preamble call is needed. Therefore the \R command doesn't work, it only works when I load the arabTeX-package manually in the preamble: \usepackage{arabtex}.

So one fix would be to add this preamble line automatically when the users uses Arabic as document language. I did the same with the armtex package when I implemented Armenian.

But arabi is nevertherless required to provide the cp1256 input encoding that is needed on Windows for Arabic.

Actually, Mostafa has fixed the last *two* issues for Farsi, but not for Arabic, so as not to interfere with ArabTex. But at least the know-how is already in the sources. We only need to figure out how to allow the option of either Arabi or ArabTeX, so that one doesn't break the other. I think Mostafa had an interesting idea for this, of defining two Arabic languages.

This doesn't work. One version has to call ArabTeX in the preamble but arabi wil be used when it is installed due to its babel support except of the \R command. This leads to inconsistent output. And ArabTeX doesn't come with an input encoding for Windows. So why not use arabi for baoth, Farsi and Arabic. When there are isues with the arabi package in terms of resulting font, ligatures, etc. we should report it to the arabi people and I'm sure they will fix it for their next release.

---

Besides this we have to corrent the fontencoding options, that are currently not correct also for Farsi, according to the documentation of the arabi-package.

best regards
Uwe