On Wed, 2007-06-20 at 11:50 +0200, Helge Hafting wrote:
> >> I just checked that LyX 1.1.6fix4 and 1.3.7 didn't allow that.
> >> So, I would say that it has always been like that.
> >>

> > I take your word for it, perhaps my memory is faulty.
> >
> > Still I think it would be nicer if the rules weren't enforced until
> > after you moved away.
> >
> LyX 1.5svn, like lyx-1.3 lets you enter two spaces in a row in one case:
> * Place the cursor between two words where there already
>   is a space, in front of the existing space. "Like| this."
> * Press space, and you'll get two spaces, one on each side
>   of the cursor: "Like | this"
>
> The point here is that you may want to type in another word there,
> so that extra space is needed. If you don't, then the extra space
> is indeed removed as soon as you move the cursor.

If you go back in this thread you'll see that I said that already.

> I don't really see the point of having LyX allow 5 spaces
> in a row if there is no way you can keep them.  Two spaces
> are allowed temporarily, so that you can type a new
> word between them.

I think you missed my point. I know all of this. I'm not asking to be
able to keep those spaces, I would have used a protected blank if I
needed them.

What I'm saying is that from the point of view of typing in LyX it would
feel more natural (to me) if each keypress were honoured on-screen. Even
though it will then be cleaned up later.

Have fun,
Darren