On Jun 21, 2007, at 17:28 , Richard Heck wrote:
Anders Ekberg wrote:
On 21 jun 2007, at 13.12, Helge Hafting wrote:
Bennett Helm wrote:
It shouldn't be a radio button just like the others, since it's not an option in the way that the others are.
Sorry, but I consider that a bad argument. Sure, "default" is a bit
different. That does NOT imply it can't be a radio button like the rest.

To me, "default" means "whatever is default for this paragraph type"
while the other choices are explicit. (I.e. if you really want a
right-adjusted heading, and so on.)

The problem is not so much that the interface is hard to understand.
(It _is_, but people always learn such stuff after a while. Even non-latexers
keep a few useful latex commands around. . .)
It is also clunky to use, which is the big killer here.
If I want "centered", I want to click "centered" and be done with it!
I do not want to have to uncheck "default" first.
And I believe most other writers see it the same way.
Agree.
It is also consistent with the text settings where "Reset" (read Default) is an option like all others in the pop-up menus. In fact to use a pop-up menu with
No change
Justified
Left
Center
Right
Reset
would increase the consistency. Would this be a possibility?
I agree with Helge's analysis, too, and have prepared a patch which I'll send separately. I propose to stick with "default", though, again for Helge's reasons: It means "whatever the default is for this paragraph" and corresponds to LYX_ALIGN_LAYOUT. So it basically means "No special alignment". There's no need to "No change", so far as I can see. If you want that, you just don't do anything, since the button will always be set to whatever it was before.

Of course, "No change" is for the pop-up menu case where you need a possibility to select "nothing" (since you can't use Cancel if you wish to apply other changes in the dialogue).
/A